Wednesday, January 20, 2021

IVIG Day

Intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) is a blood product prepared from the serum of between 1000 and 15 000 donors per batch. It is the treatment of choice for patients with antibody deficiencies. For this indication, IVIG is used at a ‘replacement dose’ of 200–400 mg/kg body weight, given approximately 3-weekly. In contrast, ‘high dose’ IVIG (hdIVIG), given most frequently at 2 g/kg/month, is used as an ‘immunomodulatory’ agent in an increasing number of immune and inflammatory disorders. Initial use of hdIVIG was for immune thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) in children.

The clinical specialities using the largest amounts of IVIG are neurology, haematology, immunology, nephrology, rheumatology and dermatology. IVIG has had a major impact on the treatment of neurological disorders including dermatomyositis, Guillain–Barre syndrome, chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP), multifocal motor neuropathy (MMN), myasthenia gravis and stiff person syndrome. 

In haematology it is used to treat immune cytopenias, parvovirus B19 associated red cell aplasia, hypogammaglobulinaemia secondary to myeloma and chronic lymphatic leukaemia and post-bone marrow transplantation. In immunology IVIG is used in the treatment of primary antibody deficiency (PAD), in nephrology, rheumatology and ophthalmology it has been used to treat vasculitis, systemic lupus erythematosis (SLE), mucous membrane pemphigoid and uveitis and in dermatology it is used most commonly to treat Kawasaki syndrome, dermatomyositis, toxic epidermal necrolysis and the blistering diseases.

I started monthly infusions of IVIG about 3-4 years ago because chemo had destroyed my immune system and this would give my body a fighting chance with fighting off diseases.  After about two years, there was a nation wide shortage of IVIG and since my need was not CFRITICAL...  I was prevented from receiving these infusions.  A year or so later and after several months of constant sinus infections, my Oncologist was able to convince the POWERS THAT BE...  that I needed to resume my IVIG infusions.

They agreed, but only allowed me to received these infusions every other month which my Oncologist agreed to and I wonder if every other month is really helping...  but, who I am to fight the system and turn down help...

Today, is one of those days for my infusion.  I have to be at the hospital by 7:00 am and the process takes about 2.5 hours...  some of my pre-meds to keep me from getting sick cause me to sleep for about an hour or so...  therefore, my conscious time does not seem so long...  a silver lining in every cloud can be found...

No comments:

Post a Comment

BEGINNING TODAY

All future articles for this blog will appear on my other blog:  JOURNAL FOR DAILY PAGES....  all the internal page links have been switched...